Just like humans, pets experience various oral issues and it is crucial to address them on time. As pet owner, it is important to take care of your pet’s teeth and gums, since gum disease can lead to chronic pain and even bone loss. At Peace Arch Veterinary Hospital in Surrey, BC, we provide dental care to prevent gum disease and keep your cat or dog healthy.
How Common Is Gum Disease in Cats and Dogs?
Gum disease remains one of the most common dental issues among cats and dogs. It is associated with certain oral problems and conditions, such as the following:
- Tartar buildup and dental plaque
- Oral infections
- Tooth loss and tooth decay
- Periodontal disease
What Causes Gum Disease?
There are a variety of factors that can lead to gum disease. Some causes of gum disease include:
- Improper Dental Care: If you do not brush your pet’s teeth regularly, it can lead to tartar and plaque build-up
- Poor Diet: If your pet does not eat well and does not receive the necessary nutrients, it can negatively impact its gum health
- Genetics: There are certain breeds that are more predisposed to gum disease than others
- Age: The older your pet is, the higher its risk is for gum disease
How to Prevent Gum Disease
There are some preventative measures you can take to prevent gum disease in your pet. Some of these precautions include:
- Regular Dental Care: It is important to brush your pet’s teeth regular with a soft brush and a little bit of toothpaste. Along with that, providing him or her with dental chews can be beneficial for its teeth and gums
- Healthy Diet: Talk to our veterinarians to make sure that your pet is eating well and that its diet consists of all necessary elements and supplements
- Professional Cleanings: Visiting us regularly for check-ups and cleanings can help keep your pet’s mouth healthy. Not only that, but routine exams also allow us to address any existing issues and prevent new ones
Contact us for an Appointment Today!
Your pet’s oral health is one of the most important components of its overall well-being. If you notice any signs of gum disease, it is important visit our veterans at Peace Arch Veterinary Hospital in Surrey, BC. To schedule your appointment, contact our office at (604) 536-3131 today. When you need a veterinarian near me, we are ready to assist you!